Saturday, December 31, 2011

Last Day

It's the last day of the year, unless you're in Samoa where it's already tomorrow. Tradition dictates we all make resolutions for the New Year. As usual, most of us will fervently propose to do some things which our innermost thoughts already whisper we will fail to put into effect. I suggest a different approach this year.

Instead of giving ourselves a list of objectives (giving up... smoking, drinking, eating, whatever) why not make one serious vow to ourselves, just one? The difference is we will move heaven and earth to make it happen.

When you have a list of resolutions, it's easy to let one slip... then another... and before January has concluded we change the script to "well, maybe next year" and all is forgiven and forgotten. I know; I do this year after year.

This year, 2012, will be my year of the vow (note I'm deliberately not calling it a resolution). I'm going to spend today (31st December) thinking about not only what, but how I'm going to make this happen. Then I'm going to spend the next 12 months making it, and maintaining it as, a reality.

If you succeed in changing one negative aspect of yourself, the effect on all those you come into contact with will be exponential, like the ripples after a pebble breaks the surface of a placid lake. It'll also make you feel great!

Anyone up for the challenge? You only have one opponent in this race - yourself.

Happy New Year to all.

Eric at www.ericjgates.com 

No comments: