Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year 2012 to all

Here on the Mediterranean coast of Spain, last night's celebrations of the start of the New Year were blessed by a sight not seen too often. Usually the luminic contamination afforded by so many hotels allows only four or five of the stronger stars to peek through. Whether it is the financial crisis, lack of tourists, or whatever, I'm not sure, but yesterday much less ambient light was apparent.

Together with a half moon, relatively clear skies and a pleasantly warm night, we were treated to a breathtaking counterpoint to the obligatory firework displays. The Milky Way was easily visible in the sky, and in particular Orion's Belt seemed to hover overhead for hours.

My thoughts travelled to the Pyramids at Giza, in Egypt, and in conjunction with the date, I see this as a powerful portent for this being the year of my "2012" thriller.

What an amazing sight; to call the magnificence of the Milky Way majestic is a little trite but it's the word that came to mind last night.

My very Best Wishes to all for 2012 and my hopes that all our dreams find a way to come true this year.

Eric at www.ericjgates.com  

No comments: